Tuesday, February 5, 2019

Our car stuck in ditch, pulled out by local farmer

Late Tuesday afternoon, 4 February, I headed off towards the village of Le Bic to walk our dog Woody. While we go for regular walks on our street, I thought Woody might enjoy a change in venue, including the opportunity to sniff a greater variety of scents left by other dogs, since there is only one other dog on our street.
Rather than taking the main highway to Le Bic, I opted to take the back route which goes along a ridge with long-range views of snow-covered fields and the partially frozen Saint Lawrence River.
All was going well until I drifted a bit to the right as I enjoyed the view scape and ended up in the ditch. There's no shoulder and because the ditch was covered in snow, it wasn't obvious.  Having driven this road in summer, I should have realized the risk.
My initial thought was the AWD of our Volvo wagon would get us out of the ditch. Not the case. Okay, here's an opportunity to put our emergency shovel to work so I cleared the snow around the tires and tried again. The wheels spun, but no forward or backward real progress. Just as the situation looked fairly dire, I saw a man walking towards me along the road. He quickly ascertained my predicament and offered to pull me out with his tractor. What luck! But first we had to find a way for him to attach a cable to the Volvo. I had no idea how to do this, but he was quite sure that included  with the spare tire, was a loop that I could screw into the front bumper. He was right. After popping off a small cover on the front bumper, we screwed in the loop and voila, we had a place to link the  cable on the tractor with the Volvo. Having done that, we were able to quickly pull the Volvo out of the ditch. I thanked him with a handshake and merci beaucoup (having noticed my North Carolina license plate, he said have a good trip). How lucky I was. And, what a nice person!


View of the road with the cryptic ditch

Our Volvo stuck in the ditch. I shoveled the snow away from the tires that were in the ditch
but was unable to move the car forward or back.


A farmer whose house was close to where I got stuck
saw me and offered to pull me out with his tractor. Note the icy road.

Hooking up the cable from the tractor to my car

We screwed this loop into a compartment in the front bumper
which  became the  attachment point for the cable.

No comments:

Post a Comment