Friday, July 19, 2019

Corn lily-ostrich fern garden planting

From largely bare ground I created a new bed in the garden in May consisting of corn lily (Veratrum viride), ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) and a sprinkling of yellow loosestrife (Lysimachia punctata). All three are upright herbaceous plants. It's one of the showiest beds in the garden and a personal favorite. I hope the site is shaded and moist enough (with occasional hand-watering) to be sustainable.



I dug holes and added some additional nutrient-rich soil to each hole in mid-May

I first planted corn lily by transplanting recently emerged plants growing on the slope below our house

I then added a dozen or so ostrich fern plants, interspersing them with corn lily



Burying a dozen ostrich ferns would have been a bit expensive;
instead, I transplanted recently emerged plants growing on the slope below our house. 







No comments:

Post a Comment