Friday, July 20, 2018

My kind of morning

Woody, our golden retriever, rousted me out of bed a bit earlier than normal - about 5:15 a.m. I threw on some clothes and walked Woody up the street, along our yard, the neighbors house, an old barn, and fields of hay and corn blanketing the rolling hills. As we walked, the sun was rising over the ridge, the light softened by clouds. I fed Woody, then the chickens (5 hens and a rooster).
I spent the next hour or so gardening - pruning, adding mulch to a couple of peonies, and watering. Woody tagged along. Back in the house, I made some coffee for my partner and me. Had just enough time to do some stretching and strengthening exercises before sitting down for breakfast. Lisa and I usually eat omelets, with fresh eggs from the chickens. Today, I settled for cereal with fresh fruit and yogurt.
I headed out for a bicycle ride about 9 o'clock (having cycled yesterday, Lisa opted for a hike). It was a great ride on back roads through farmland to the town of Saint Fabien. After crossing busy Hwy 132, I rode up and over the ridge to Fabien-sur-Mer, with its small scenic road along the edge of the Saint Lawrence Seaway. This lovely road with seaside homes ends at the far western entrance to Bic National Park. Riding through the forests and meadows of the Park on well-kept gravel paths is a pleasure, but also a bit dicey on my smooth, skinny (25 mm) tires. After riding through the Park, I returned home on Hwy 132, completing a loop of just under 20 miles, according to my Apple watch.
It was a great way to spend the morning. A follow up post will describe the bike ride in more detail.
View from the back road to Saint Fabien from Le Bic

Ride along coastal road in Saint Fabien-sur-Mer

Western entrance to Bic National Park from coastal road in Saint Fabien


No comments:

Post a Comment